You signed in with another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You signed out in another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.You switched accounts on another tab or window. Reload to refresh your session.Dismiss alert
{{ message }}
Repository navigation
[Python][Annotations] Add pyrefly check to CI #51474
Is it needed to add yet another type checker? (the more type checkers, the more maintenance effort to keep them all happy)
I find https://pyrefly.org/blog/too-many-type-checkers/ an interesting resource, which essentially says it is fine to run just one type checker on your code, but run multiple on the tests (as a way to test your public API with as many type checkers as possible, but for internal development just choose one).
I know we don't yet actually run the type checkers on the code (or tests, since those directories are excluded), but something to think about for when are planning to enable this.
@jorisvandenbossche that approach seems reasonable. Also I suppose work on the annotations will show how problematic multi-typechecker setup would be. And I suppose we can postpone any decisions until then.
Activity
rok commentedon Sep 23, 2026
cc @samwgoldman
jorisvandenbossche commentedon Sep 24, 2026
Is it needed to add yet another type checker? (the more type checkers, the more maintenance effort to keep them all happy)
I find https://pyrefly.org/blog/too-many-type-checkers/ an interesting resource, which essentially says it is fine to run just one type checker on your code, but run multiple on the tests (as a way to test your public API with as many type checkers as possible, but for internal development just choose one).
I know we don't yet actually run the type checkers on the code (or tests, since those directories are excluded), but something to think about for when are planning to enable this.
rok commentedon Sep 24, 2026
@jorisvandenbossche that approach seems reasonable. Also I suppose work on the annotations will show how problematic multi-typechecker setup would be. And I suppose we can postpone any decisions until then.
samwgoldman commentedon Sep 28, 2026
Whatever you decide to do, let me know if I can support in any way. I put up a PR to add Pyrefly, if you decide to go that direction. Thanks!